How to Measure for Your Volari Roman Shades
Follow these easy steps to get the correct window measurements for a shade. Determine if you want the product installed inside or outside the window casing. (Inside mount vs outside mount).
- If you chose inside mount installation, measure the depth of the opening to determine if there is sufficient room to completely or partially enclose the roman shade.
- In most cases measuring the top of the window, where the product will be installed is sufficient. If you want to be absolutely sure, measure the center and bottom and record the smallest measurement. (Older homes may have different measurements due to settling.)
- The correct measuring method is to position the tape at the front of the opening and read the tape directly or measure with the tape body inside, lock the tap, read the tape and add the length of the tape body to that number. We do not recommend curving the tape in the opening.
- Measure either side to record the length.
- Write the exact measurements on your order. For inside mount installation the manufacturer will deduct a fraction of an inch to allow clearance. For outside mount installation, we recommend 1 inch wider on each side and 2 inches above and 1 inch below the window opening.
How to Measure for Your Side Panels and Draperies
Follow these easy steps to get the correct window measurements for decorative panels or draperies.
- First, refer to the Stackback Table on the right to determine how much of the window opening you want covered when the product is opened. For decorative panels, we recommend covering 3 to 5 inches of wall on each side.
- Measure the top of window or frame to floor, top of window or frame to ceiling and the inside width and length of the window and the distance to a wall or obstruction that is close the window.
- For floor length, we recommend the top of drapery 4 inches above the top of the window or window frame and to the floor less ½ inch. For sill length, we recommend the top of drapery 4 inches above the top of the window or frame, to 4 inches below the sill.
Local Measuring and Installation
Installation instructions are also available in printable pdf form on our site. If you still do not feel comfortable measuring and installing your treatments, we suggest contacting local handyman services in your area. Search “window treatment installation”, “drapery installation”, “handyman services”, etc, on your computer. Call the local service desk at your DIY/Hardware/Homecenter store for recommendations.